Project Nursery: fabric wall decal

Thursday, November 18, 2010

My friend Trista was coming over in a few days to take my maternity pics, and we wanted some shots in the nursery.  Problem is, there was no nursery to be found. We hadn't even painted the walls yet!  If there's one thing the wedding floral business taught me, it's how to accomplish major creative feats, quickstyle. Here is Siena's nursery, a cheery, fresh, and colorful sanctuary from the rest of our dark, moody, oriental style home. 

Not only did we have to pull it together quickly, we needed to do it cheaply.  Now that I'm a stay-at-home-mom-to-be, money is tighter. I decided I would get all the furniture gently used off craigslist, and DIY mostly everything else.  We ended up decorating the entire nursery for about 350.00, including all the furniture, linens, knick knacks, etc.

The  fabric decal banner is one of the easiest ways to spruce up a blank wall.  I love banners, but don't love the idea of a kiddo pulling them off the walls.  I also think fabric is a bit sturdier than paper.  So I created a banner that would be flush against the wall, hard for a toddler to peel off, but easy for an adult to peel off if necessary.  This little project would be PERFECT for wedding backdrops, parties, or decorating apartments where you're not allowed to do anything permanent to the walls.



step 1:  make a triangle template for the flags.
step 2:  spray front of contact paper (the non-sticky side) with spray adhesive.  Spray it evenly without missing any spots.  Do this part outside- it gets hecka messy! 
step 3:  apply various fabric scraps onto the glue-y contact paper, making sure to smooth out any air bubbles
step 4:  trace your template onto the different scraps (I did this on the paper backing of the contact paper) and simply cut out your flags.
step 5:  remove the backing and apply to clean walls.  If you mess up, no worries!  You can stick and unstick these decals as often as you need to.
step 6:  I stuck little contrasting hearts on the flags to spice them up a little, and pinned two draping bows to the sides of the banner.

5 comments:

Hong and Tami Kim November 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM  

ohhhh my goodness kristen! i looooooove it!

:) tami

Unknown November 19, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

sooooooooooo stinking cute!!! =) luv you.

Rachel November 22, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

So clever, Kris! I absolutely love how it all turned out.

Sara November 23, 2010 at 2:02 AM  

Wow, this is such a wonderful room. I love it.

Unknown November 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM  

Fantastic Nursery Wall Decals! I have never been brave enough to try this but you have inspired me to give it a go!

Post a Comment