Friday, December 30, 2011
|A sweet shot Trista took one day when we were chilling at her house.|
I wanted to can the whole thing because I worried that I would obsess over the details and dish out too much money for a party Siena won't even care about. I have the tendency to go a little overboard in an attempt to make things "blog-worthy". Then I get all tangled up in mixed motives, and these fun projects become a burden. The wedding biz can do that to ya. Just being honest!
But I DO want to throw her a little shindig, mostly to thank our loved ones for their love, support, and patience as we navigated/stumbled through this first year of parenthood. Anyway, it turns out I'm co-hosting a baby shower for my best friend (the one who threw my incredible "earth mama" shower) the very week before Siena's bday. That's a good thing! I won't have the time or energy to go buck wild on Sisi's party.
Here are the rules to keep me in check.
- This is not a wedding, it's a little baby's birthday party. I will not rent furniture, linens, or use real plates. I will not design letterpress invitations. I will send out an evite and use paper plates and plastic silverware like most average American folk. (BTW, not judging people who go all out for parties- I LOVE attending extravagent soirees, I just don't have the means to throw one.)
- But I have permission to make it pretty, using the myriad of craft supplies I already own. Got that Kristin? Don't buy anything. Work with what ya got.
- The one exception to above rule- I bought a Sihouette Cameo cutter as a Christmas present to myself, which I'm sooo stoked about!!! I pledge to use the cameo for EVERYTHING- banners, garlands, stickers, signage. This party will be my Silhouette Cameo crash course.
- It will be open house style, with drinks, appetizers, snacks, and desserts. No gourmet food truck, no extravagant mini dessert bar, no signature cocktails. I only say this because all these ideas ran through my mind until I smacked myself back into reality. Repeat, this is a baby's birthday party.
- I will only serve food that I wouldn't feel guilty giving to Siena (not counting the alcohol). It won't all be paleo, but it will be organic, real food. Hope you guys still want to come :)
- I will try to make this fun for Sisi. That means scheduling it between her naps, making sure she has a "no-cheek-pinching" safe zone, and setting up a kid's play area in the backyard.
I'll let you know the theme of the party soon!