Sisi's Bday Party- Update

Friday, December 30, 2011

A sweet shot Trista took one day when we were chilling at her house.
I am indeed throwing Siena a first birthday party.  It will take place the day after my (29th!!! Yikes!) birthday, at my humble home, and I will try to keep it low key.

I wanted to can the whole thing because I worried that I would obsess over the details and dish out too much money for a party Siena won't even care about.  I have the tendency to go a little overboard in an attempt to make things "blog-worthy". Then I get all tangled up in mixed motives, and these fun projects become a burden. The wedding biz can do that to ya.  Just being honest!

But I DO want to throw her a little shindig, mostly to thank our loved ones for their love, support, and patience as we navigated/stumbled through this first year of parenthood. Anyway, it turns out I'm co-hosting a baby shower for my best friend (the one who threw my incredible  "earth mama" shower) the very week before Siena's bday. That's a good thing! I won't have the time or energy to go buck wild on Sisi's party.

Here are the rules to keep me in check.
  • This is not a wedding, it's a little baby's birthday party.  I will not rent furniture, linens, or use real plates. I will not design letterpress invitations. I will send out an evite and use paper plates and plastic silverware like most average American folk.  (BTW, not judging people who go all out for parties- I LOVE attending extravagent soirees, I just don't have the means to throw one.)
  • But I have permission to make it pretty, using the myriad of craft supplies I already own.  Got that Kristin?  Don't buy anything. Work with what ya got.
  • The one exception to above rule- I bought a Sihouette Cameo cutter as a Christmas present to myself, which I'm sooo stoked about!!! I pledge to use the cameo for EVERYTHING- banners, garlands, stickers, signage. This party will be my Silhouette Cameo crash course.
  • It will be open house style, with drinks, appetizers, snacks, and desserts.  No gourmet food truck, no extravagant mini dessert bar, no signature cocktails.  I only say this because all these ideas ran through my mind until I smacked myself back into reality.  Repeat, this is a baby's birthday party.  
  • I will only serve food that I wouldn't feel guilty giving to Siena (not counting the alcohol).  It won't all be paleo, but it will be organic, real food.  Hope you guys still want to come :)
  • I will try to make this fun for Sisi.  That means scheduling it between her naps, making sure she has a "no-cheek-pinching" safe zone, and setting up a kid's play area in the backyard.
How do you guys feel about first birthday parties?  Are they worth the effort?  Any tips for me on what details are worth focusing on, or tips for throwing a smooth open house?  Parties scare me a little. Yup, I'm officially intimidated by this whole thing. 

I'll let you know the theme of the party soon!

5 comments:

Cindy December 31, 2011 at 8:43 PM  

Classic "baby eating cake" photo. That's all that's really important from a first birthday...the rest of it is whatever the parents want to have fun with. Nice groundrules!

Cindy December 31, 2011 at 8:44 PM  

And GORGEOUS picture of Sisi.

Kristin @ Petal and Thorn January 1, 2012 at 3:46 PM  

thanks Cindy! i had so much fun at Dominic's party. it was low key but so much fun for the parents and the kids. that party is my inspiration!

christina {simply modern weddings} January 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM  

love it!! i hear ya on going over the top, it's kinda hard for us wedding peeps not scale back. but i refuse to throw extravagant parties for our little one when they are born...because a. i know kids & my family could care less, and b. i get to do this for my clients all the time, so i just like the simple things for our own shindigs.

ps. gorgeous pic of sisi!!!

Kristin @ Petal and Thorn January 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM  

christina- you are so right. what a great perspective you have! xoxo (hope you guys can come- evite coming soon!)

Post a Comment