White Mantel and Easter Lilies

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Photo by Jasmine Star
My mantel used to display a canvas of the above picture (I used to hold consultations in my home.)  It seemed vain to keep showcasing my work all over the house after I retired, so down they went.  Since then, my mantel has been stark white brick. I just don't know what to do with the space.   I LOVE the family portraits from Siena's 1 year photo shoot, but the bright punchy colors might clash with my dark, ethnic decor.  I didn't think that through when I styled it.  Does that even matter?  I'm not sure.

Until I can make a decision, my boring mantel  will serve as a plain canvas for 3 west elm vases which I plan to keep filled with whatever strikes my fancy that week.

I skipped over the 1.29 bunches of daffodils (tempting!) at Trader Joe's.  These longiform lilies are a much better long-term investment.  I like how they look, all closed up and linear.  According to my calculations,  they'll be at the absolute peak of their beauty on Easter morning, the day Christ rose again from the dead.  Very symbolic, right?

Easter Lilies on the mantel

***Which brings me to a very important point that I am now free to divulge since I'm retired.  Wedding florists DO NOT care if your wedding flowers last after your wedding. I got asked that a lot, and would beat around the bush, not knowing how to say it gently.  But let me be clear- my job is (or was) to make sure the flowers are at the peak of gorgeousness on your wedding day.  A rose at it's peak is deeply saturated and wide open with all it's petals on full display, which means tomorrow it will start to fade.  A little sad, but that's life, and it's what makes flowers so precious in the first place.  So treasure them while you have them!  (Hence the name, The Treasured Petal :)  Can you tell I'm missing the business a little now that all the Springtime flowers are coming out?

4 comments:

Unknown March 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM  

I love it, Kristin! The vases, the lilies! Clean and elegant. Until you find the perfect piece for that mantel. =)

Sarah March 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM  

Wow, I love that photo and i LOVE your fireplace. I can't wait to see what you do with it =)

- Sarah
http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

Cindy March 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM  

LOL on the flowers after wedding...who is around to look at them? Honeymoon!

B/w or sepia of the family photo for the mantel? Love the vases and lilies...great look.

Kristin @ Petal and Thorn March 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM  

Cindy- that is a fabulous idea! never even crossed my mind, but that would definitely compliment our decor more.

Post a Comment