Saturday, December 19, 2015
My rosy-cheeked, crooked-smile baby turned one last week. I didn't even cry or get emotional. I just feel proud! I am so proud of how he is growing, and how he explores the world around him. How content and centered he is. I'm proud of him just for being Matteo, his own precious and unique self. Matteo is such a cuddler. We spent much of the year hard-core nuzzling. Sniffing each other, resting cheek to cheek. Long nursing sessions where he gazes into my eyes and never pulls away first. He would probably nurse for an hour if he could.
I remember feeling a sense of regret and sadness when Sisi turned 1. I really struggled through the first year emotionally, and felt like I missed so much. I am so relieved to say that this year was the opposite. This was actually the most balanced, calm, centered year of my life. Isn't that crazy? It wasn't without sleepless nights, meltdowns, sibling rivalry. We also lost my kids' only Grandpa, which was devastating. But overall, a sense of peace and confidence reigned in me and my household. I think we finally found our rhythm, and Matteo fell into it so naturally.
It's so neat to watch him climb the bridge that Joe made for Sisi three Christmases ago.
Matteo at a Glance:
- At his doctor visit a few weeks ago, he was 18.5 lbs. Still pretty small, but climbing up the charts. He is outgrowing his 12 month clothes, at least length-wise! He is 50th percentile for height, 10th for weight.
- His crawling is more efficient and symmetrical now. Starting to climb onto low things like the doggy beds. Standing up, but on tip toes and bent over like a hunchback. No cruising yet.
- He's very task-oriented these days and will repeat the same procedure fifty times until he gets it right. I watched him replace the cap to his bottle over and over for a good 10 minutes, a proud grin on his face each time he was successful.
- Little scientist. Loves to thoroughly explore an object from all angles. If I pour a stream of water into the bath, he will put his hand in at the top, then the bottom, repeat 10 times, then stick his face in and decide he's not going to do that again.
- Right handed I think (unlike Sisi and Joe and the many other left-handed relatives we have.)
- Loves to groove to fast music. Flails his arms and legs rhythmically and pants like a dog to the beat.
- Favorite toys are a toothbrush with a smidge of toothpaste on it, dog toys, and books.
- Foods: becoming pickier about some types of fish, but still eats almost anything we give him. His recent favorites are meatballs, chicken drumsticks, sweet potatoes, guacamole, tuna salad, and any kind of fruit.
- Words: still mama, dada, dog dog, and now has added "yeah" to his repertoire.
- Amazing self-control. He will crawl toward the Christmas tree or the dog water bowl ready to make mischief. But if I tell him, "No, Matteo. Please don't touch," he will look at me, shake his head no, and stay away from it. It amazes me every time!