Easy Bouncy Curls (for flat half-asian hair)...

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Or for anyone with stick straight no-volume hair, like me.  I hear lots of half asian gals complain about this, since we have the straight hair of our asian parent, but without that thick, gorgeous glossiness that full asian hair tends to have. Sorry if I'm "hair-eotyping" a little bit.

For Siena's 1 year photo shoot, I wanted some volume and curl that would last throughout the day. My hot rollers make a beautiful curl, but it doesn't last longer than a few hours.  I stumbled upon this wonderful no-heat curl tutorial which uses nothing but a little gel/mouse and a stretchy elastic headband. Definitely check out Paper Mama's very thorough tutorial! 

Here's how it worked for me:

Post shower and upside-down blow dry (just the slightest bit damp), with a little Big Fat Hair worked in.
 Definitely comfy enough to wear to bed with no issues. Way better than my paper towel rag curls I used to do almost every day in high school.
 Am I crazy for thinking that with a pretty beaded headband, this might be a nice Grecian updo?  Well, at least it's not to embarrassing to run to the grocery store like this.
 The next morning: I was definitely surprised that the strands stayed put.
 Here's where I freaked out- a little too Shirley Temple for my tastes. Before I jumped into the shower or did what we're all not supposed to do (brush the curls out frantically, resulting in a fro), I went about my daily tasks and decided to see if they would calm down.
 They did!  I finger combed the curls, and pinned back my growing out bangs. The soft curls lasted til the next day! 

2 comments:

Rachel January 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM  

Looks so amazing! This might actually work on my hair, which totally rejects curling irons. The only way I could ever get a curl in it was sponge rollers, which I can't subject myself to as an adult.

Delia June 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM  

I am totally trying this out this week!

Post a Comment