Dress Into Romper!

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Thanks to Make It and Love It's fabulous tutorial, Turn A Dress Into A Bubble Romper, I turned a sorta outdated dress I got in a big ebay lot into something way cuter.

the original dress

Bubble rompers are infinitely cuter than plain ol' dresses!  They really accentuate the puffy diaper butt region.  Who can resist? 
upcycled romper!
snaps and elastic leg openings
I get extra credit for turning the no longer needed bloomers into a cute flower accent, which updates this outfit even more. 
no longer needed bloomers


floral accent with button
For the flower, I doubled up the bloomer fabric and sewed petal shapes with my sewing machine.  I left the bottom of the petal open so I could trim the petal and turn it inside out, then I pinched the bottom with my fingers, and sewed the petal to the dress.  I added an eyelet cover button to the center.

some tools 
This is the perfect project for a sewing machine newbie- almost instant gratification, plus it forces you to learn some valuable skills, like hammering snaps and making elastic casings.

Here's the sucky part-IT DOESN'T FIT HER!  Sisi was napping when I made this, and I just eyeballed it and figured she'd fit in it.  Not even close. In the last few months, Sisi has grown a ton. 

((( If anyone wants this romper for their little one, size 12 months or under (I think it'd fit a 6-10 month baby best), let me know!  I'm serious, I'll just send it to you in the mail.  Just don't laugh at my stitching and gray thread (b/c there was gray thread in the machine and I was too lazy to swap it).  Hopefully your baby's leg fat rolls will cover all that up.)))

Mommies, be sure to check out the tutorial Turn A Dress Into A Bubble RomperMake It and Love It is one of my favorite craft blogs ever.  She really demystifies sewing for the rest of us.

5 comments:

Sarah April 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM  

Super awesome tutorial! So easy and adorable =) BTW thank you for your sweet email response. You are such a sweetie and I hope we can at some point get a chance to hang out =)

- Sarah
agirlintransit.blogspot.com

P I N K April 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM  

This is too good to be true! I would love love to have the romper you made Sisi. Lucky for us none crafty ppl that Sisi is too big for it! I think you have my mailing address and pls let me know if I can at least pay fir shipping. Thanks Kristin!

Kristin @ Petal and Thorn April 23, 2012 at 8:44 AM  

Echo- you got it! No need to pay for shipping, I'll just put it in a bubble mailer. I'll send it out first chance I get :)

Rachel April 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM  

It's so cute! Such a bummer she doesn't fit in it, but at least it will go to a good home.

Freckles Chick April 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM  

How do you do it all & STILL find the time to create such lovely upcycled gems?! I get excited if I'm able to put on real clothes that day....by real clothes I mean stretchy yoga pants as opposed to my PJ's. Such a bummer that it didn't fit Sisi but serendipity for Echo, yay!

Post a Comment